Ingredient spotlight: Centella Asiatica aka Cica
If you’re into K-Beauty, chances are you’ll have heard of Centella Asiatica, also known as cica, Gotu Kola or Tiger Grass. It’s an ancient herb that’s been used for centuries in traditional medicine across Asia and Africa for its rejuvenating and healing effects. It’s now a seriously popular ingredient in Asian beauty products, and we aren’t surprised at all.
What is Centella Asiatica?
Centella Asiatica is a small, herbaceous plant that thrives in damp, tropical climates. It has round, scalloped leaves and inconspicuous pink or white flowers. However its leaves are where the magic happens. They’re filled with a potent compound that has a rich history in traditional medicine, especially in Ayurvedic, Chinese and Indonesian healing practices.
Originally it was used for things like skin conditions, wounds and respiratory issues. Fun fact: the name Tiger Grass comes from the belief that tigers rolled in these plants to heal their wounds.
Skin benefits of Centella Asiatica
Wondering why you should add Centella Asiatica (aka cica) into your beauty routine? We’ve got you. Here’s the beautiful skin-boosting benefits of Centella Asiatica:
- Anti inflammatory - Centella Asiatica contains triterpenoids, which help soothe irritated skin and reduce redness. This makes it great for those dealing with sensitive or acne-prone skin.
- Heals wounds - Centella Asiatica has been found to boost collagen production, which supports skin healing, elasticity, scar reduction and damaged skin.
- Rich in antioxidants - Centella Asiatica fights free radicals that accelerate ageing and damage skin cells, helping to keep skin looking youthful and glowy.
- Hydration - it’s an amazing hydrator that helps to lock in moisture. This boosts your moisturisers and serums, especially if you have dry or dehydrated skin.
- Calms and soothes - as well as healing, Centella Asiatica also helps with irritated or sensitive skin to alleviate itchiness, redness and discomfort.
Adding Centella Asiatica into your daily skincare routine
It’s easy to add Centella Asiatica into your routine as it comes in serums, creams, lotions, spot masks and sheet masks to name just a few.
We love the Beauty of Joseon Light On Serum Centella + Vita C. It brightens the skin and adds a healthy glow, thanks to its formulation that contains 68% Centella Asiatica Extract and 10% 3-O-Ethyl Ascorbic Acid (a type of Vitamin C) that nourishes the skin and works well with Centella Asiatica.
The SKIN 1004 Centella Ampoule is 100% pure Centella Asiatica extract from Madagascar. This product has incredible skin soothing and calming properties; it works to help reduce redness, irritation, and inflammation.
The SKIN 1004 Madagascar Centella Hyalu-Cica Water Fit Sun Serum SPF50+ is amazing when it comes to soothing sun protection. With Centella Asiatica and hydrating hyaluronic acid, it’s a lightweight, fast-absorbing formula that’s perfect for hydrating skin.