At this point in our skin journeys, many of us will be familiar with the benefits of powerhouse ingredients like Hyaluronic Acid, Vitamin C, and a host of other ingredients doing the most in skincare products.
BUT – what about the other star ingredients keeping a lower profile – like Tiger Grass, Tamanu Seed Oil and Hemp Seed Oil?
Since they too have some ah-mazing effects for your skin, we’re dishing the deets on exactly what they are and which products to find them in!
Our Top 3 Ingredients for 2022:
What is it?
This chlorophyll and nutrient rich, natural antioxidant is native to Asia. Both the leaf and the water it grows in have restorative and healing properties that are highly beneficial to our skin.
It’s also known as “Tiger Grass”, because tigers in India have been observed rolling in this herb. Afterwards it was noted it helped heal their infections and wounds – we know – mind blown!
If you’ve ever seen “Cica” on some K-beauty products, it usually refers to the inclusion of Centella.
Key Benefits of Centella Asiatica in Skincare:
- Improves skin tone and texture
- Hydrates and brightens skin
- Helps skin recovery and strengthens/heals compromised skin
- Reduces inflammation
- Anti-aging – it promotes skin cell growth and collagen production
- The flavonoids in Centella help reduce free radical damage caused by environmental stressors (like the sun and pollution)
- It’s even a suggested treatment for conditions such as eczema, rosacea and more!
Ah-mazing products that include Centella Tiger Grass:
- At just $6 a pop, the Dr.Jart Cicapair Tiger Grass Calming Mask is a great place to start! It’s packed full of soothing and calming ingredients and we love a skin mask, don’t we?!
- Dr.Jart+ Cicapair Calming Gel Cream is a gorgeous, ultralight calming gel that soothes irritated and sensitive skin. It’s also nice to pop on after a skin peel or deep exfoliation!
- Laneige have crafted a decadent Cica Sleeping Mask with an extract more effective than regular Tiger Grass. It will deliver essential hydration and soothing moisture to dry and sensitive skin overnight
If your skin looks or feels red, inflamed, dry or irritated, give this ingredient a try!
TAMANU SEED OIL
What is it?
Tamanu Seed Oil comes from the seeds of the Tamanu nut, native to Southeast Asia. It’s been used to treat wounds and heal skin for centuries, and is now increasingly popular in modern skincare.
Most notably, Tamanu Seed Oil is rich in essential fatty acids – fab news for skin seeking a luxe moisture quench that also battles breakouts!
Key Benefits of Tamanu Seed Oil in Skincare:
- Nourishes and hydrates skin
- Improves tone and texture while brightening skin
- Has anti-inflammatory effects
- Offers antioxidant protection against free radicals to help repair existing, and prevent future damage
- Stimulates collagen production to help firm skin
- Reduces redness and irritation
- Antibacterial – helpful with treating acne and scarring
We think you’ll love the Tamanu Seed Oil in this Superstar Skincare Serum:
- Tamanu Oil is key ingredient in KraveBeauty’s Great Barrier Relief.
Thanks to Tamanu (plus the inclusions of ceramides and niacinamide) it has incredible reparative, soothing and skin-regenerating properties.
In fact, it’s believed to be more effective retinol AND vitamin C at improving the appearance of dark spots and acne scarring. Yes pls!
Use this vegan-friendly product as a daily serum or weekly treatment and wait to be impressed by the results.
HEMP SEED OIL
What is it?
Hemp is extracted from the cannabis sativa plant, which is already pretty famous for its *relaxing* CBD association.
Unlike CBD (derived from the leaves and flowers of the plant), Hemp seed oil is taken from the seeds of the same plant (but doesn’t have mood-altering effects)!
Hemp oil is rich in fatty acids, and, since our bodies don’t form our own omega-3 fatty acids (we get them from our diets), it’s welcome news we can apply them topically too via clever skincare!
Key Benefits of Hemp in Skincare:
- Boosts collagen levels
- Increases skins moisture by locking in hydration
- Reduces inflammation and soothes skin
- Reduced acne, blackheads and regulates oil
- Evens tone and can help improve texture and acne scarring
- Prevents free radical damage
- High in anti-aging antioxidants and vitamins A, C, E, F + essential fatty acids
Great for all skin types; especially combination or breakout-prone skin. Hemp seed oil is non-comedogenic and won’t make you breakout = yay!
We also recommended it for anyone who uses retinol products or skin peels, as it can help reduce irritation caused by them.
Want to give Hemp a go? Check out our Krave Matcha Hemp Hydrating Cleanser:
This beautiful lightweight gel cleanser contains the superfood power couple of Matcha and Hemp Seed Oil. Together, this very happy marriage of ingredients delivers a deep dose of rich antioxidants and amino acids to your skin.
Use this little beauty twice daily (AM + PM) for the best results!
Okay, that’s it – our top 3 skincare loves to try this year (if you’re not already using them)! Do you have a fave? Let us know!